Sunday, April 11, 2010

Haley's first swimming class...

Yesterday was Haley's first experience with water, other than the bath tub of course. We took her to the YMCA in Shawnessy, where we were signed up for a 12 week class on Saturdays. Their classes have children ranging from 3 months to 5 years, which in my opinion is too large an age range. The plan was for Charlie to take her in, while I took pictures and video taped, but our plans didn't exactly work out. I got a couple of photos of her right after they changed, but as soon as the life guards saw me with the camera, they told me I wasn't allowed to take pictures or video tape in the pool area. I sort of understand that for the sake of the people around you, but it really stinks to not be able to capture your little one's fist experience with swimming. So off they went into the pool. Haley was fine, she liked the water. The class started and they did a little floating activity, she looked SO CUTE! She was holding onto Daddy's hands (or should I say, he was holding onto hers), and the rest of her was out in the star fish position, she was quite happy. Then the group walked around in a circle, singing and bouncing up and down, she seemed to like that too. Then the singing got louder and the splashing started. All of a sudden she started to scream! I think she was just really scared. I came over, Charlie handed her to me and she was fine. I gave her a little cuddle, then tried to have her go back in the water with Daddy. At that point they were having the kids jump off the side of the pool into the water, she wanted nothing to do with it. She was just screaming, so I took her back. That was that.... We got her dried, changed and went to the front desk to get a refund for the other 11 classes. We'll try it again sometime, but as a family, in a less stressful environment. Maybe she'd enjoy this type of thing when she's older, but for now it's not happening.

Today Haley just wanted to sleep most of the day. She took 3 naps, the last one was almost 3 hours long. Then she wanted to go to bed at 6pm, but we were able to stretch it out until 7:15pm after her bath. Uncle Shaun (Charlie's brother) was here to visit, so at least they got a little time together. He attempted to read her a bed time story, but she was so tired, he only got half way through it. Oh well, it was still a good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment